News – “Distillery Apologizes for Vodka Named After Deadly Poison”

munchies.vice.com – As Bristol Dry Gin cheekily Instagrammed its new Novichok vodka, a woman died from exposure to the chemical a mere 60 miles away.

When it comes to launching small-batch novelty booze, there’s bad timing, and then there’s Bristol Dry Gin timing. As the Bristol, England-based distillery excitedly Instagrammed its newest product, a 44-year-old woman was dying from the same chemical it commemorated on its label.

On Saturday, Bristol Gin posted a picture of six bottles of its Novichok Vodka, which it named for a powerful nerve agent used to poison former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter. “Our new limited edition vodka is out,” Bristol wrote on Facebook and Instagram. “Set at 75%, this smooth drinking spirit is no laughing matter. Available as a 35cl bottle, perfect for manbags [sic] and gym bottles, or as a pack of three 5cl minis, a great solution to body cavity searches.”

While Bristol Gin pressed “Post” on its picture, 44-year-old mother of three Dawn Sturgess was in critical condition in a hospital in Salisbury—just 60 miles away. She died from suspected Novichok poisoning the next day. (Sturgess’ partner, Charlie Rowley, remains “critically ill,” according to Bristol Live.)


Image result for doh gif

Advertisements

Leave a Reply