Old City Fest
Sunday, October 7, 2018
3rd and Arch along N. 3rd Street (from Market to Race) and Arch Street (from 2nd to 4th).
Activities will 11:00am to 6:00pm
Presented by Old City District
OLD CITY FEST SERVES UP FOOD AND DRINK FROM OVER 30 RESTAURANTS, BARS AND COFFEE SHOPS ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2018
Philadelphia, PA – Old City District presents Old City Fest on Sunday, October 7, 2018, from 11:00am to 6:00pm, along N. 3rd Street (from Market to Race) and Arch Street (from 2nd to 4th). Activities will include a festival stage with live music, runway fashion shows, a family fun zone, pop-up street performances and a wide array of food, beverages, art, craft and retail shopping, with 100+ Old City vendors participating. Admission is free, with food and drink pay-as-you-go. For more information, visit oldcitydistrict.org, or call (215) 592-7929.
“Old City Fest will spotlight over thirty restaurants that will come out and join us at 3rd and Arch,” said Old City District’s Executive Director, Job Itzkowitz. “Old City’s exciting food and drink scene will be on full display. We are proud to have some of our biggest names come out once a year, like Amada, The Olde Bar, Buddakan and Continental. We also welcome many new restaurants this year, including a special food preview of The Bourse Food Hall.”
From its historic past to its artful present to its tech future, Old City is the place to be! Look for vibrant and diverse offerings that make the neighborhood the historic gem of Philadelphia. Mark your calendar, tell your friends and come prepared for a festival unlike any other. For a full list of activities, vendors, schedules and other information, see below or visit oldcitydistrict.org.
FOOD AND DRINK
The lineup of Old City restaurants showcases the wide variety of styles and flavors while highlighting some of the best food and drinks. With more than a dozen food vendors setting up shop for the festival, there is something for everyone. (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
- 2nd Story Brewing Co. – Tacos and selection of beers
- Barry’s Buns (New) – Large cinnamon rolls, mini bun cup, sticky bun parfaits, crumb cake, pumpkin crumb cake, brownies and chocolate dipped liege waffle with Fall jimmies; hot chocolate and coffee
- Bourse Food Hall
- Buddakan – Tuna Springrolls, Edamame Dumplings; cocktail and beer TBD
- Continental Restaurant & Martini Bar – Cheesesteak Eggrolls; cocktail and beer TBD
- Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar – Beef Eat-A-Frita (Organic, Grass-fed beef, Cuban style burger, shoestring fries, King’s Hawaiian Roll); Rum Punch (White rum, lime, orange, pineapple and grenadine); Guarapina (Guarapo (Fresh Sugarcane), Pineapple, Lime); Fresh Coconut
- Farmers Market at Christ Church – Products from Lavinia’s Cookies (cookies and biscotti), Fifth of a Farm Creations (preserves), and Mediterranean Delicacy (olive oil, North African spices and spreads)
- Fezziwig’s Sweet Shoppe
- The Franklin Fountain – Scoops of ice cream in cups and cones (including the Sea Salt Caramel and Pumpkin ice cream), as well as ice cream sandwiches and our keystone-shaped ice cream bars from the Franklin Ice Cream Bar
- High Street on Market (Community sponsor)
- ICI Macarons & Café – Macarons (28 flavors, including: Peanut dark chocolate, Lemon, Vanilla white chocolate, Milk & Honey, Raspberry, Mint chocolate, Lemon lavender, Lime & Basil, Salted Caramel, Pistachio, Earl Grey, Matcha green tea, Orange Blossom, Cassis & Mission fig, Mango, Hazelnut Chocolate, Dulce de Leche, Strawberry, Coconut white chocolate, Coffee Mocha, Rose Lychee, Passion Fruit, Cookies & Cream, Almond Praline, Hibiscus Sour Cherry, Honey Lavender); Lavender lemonade, Matcha lemonade, Fresh Ginger Ale
- Inspired Brews – Gingery (lots of ginger root), Golden (PA apples, star anise, ginger, golden raisins), Midnight (blackberries, vanilla, lemon, activated charcoal), Pumpkin Spice (pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice, clove)
- Khyber Pass Pub – Pulled Pork w/ Coleslaw, Vegan BBQ w/ Coleslaw, Baked Mac and Cheese; Victory Pilsner, Founders Centennial IPA
- Lalo (New)
- Linode (Liberty Sponsor) – Linode Picnic Grove with a beer garden, interactive tech activities, and a picnic spot along the festival footprint
- Lucha Cartel – Quesadillas – Chicken & Mushroom; Mahi Mahi Tempura Tacos
- National Mechanics – Pork Belly Skewer served on a Fresh Corn Pancake
- Nauti Mermaid Crab House + Piano Bar (New) – Crab cake sandwich; Nauti Orange Crush, draft beer
- OCF Coffee House (New) – Housemade grab-and-go pastries (cookies, scones, brownies, loafbreads); La Colombe coffee and La Colombe Cold Brew
- Old City Coffee (Community sponsor) – Old City Coffee’s Bollywood Blend Iced Coffee
- Roe – Chicken satay; Korean meatball; Beef bao; Grilled Corn; Thai tea; Thai bubble tea
- Prescription Chicken (New)
- Sassafras – House Made Everything Pretzel with Mustard Cheese Sauce, and our Hand Made Cheddar & Onion Chips with Grilled Onion Sauce
- Tartes – Tartes, cookies, bars, coffee and bottled water
- The Olde Bar
- Tomo Sushi + Ramen (New)
- United By Blue – Pastries and other grab and go items; cold brew, drip coffee
Also, be sure to find Jolly’s Dueling Piano Bar, who will bring dueling pianos out to the street for some lively and interactive sing-a-longs!
OTHER ACTIVITIES – STARTING WITH INDEPENDENTS ROW
Philadelphia Independents is sponsoring Independents Row, a special designated area featuring local makers including candle makers, ceramicists and jewelers. Meet the makers and peruse their handmade goods along 3rd Street in front of 35 N. 3rd Street. (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
- As the Crow Flies – Handcrafted porcelain jewelry made from vintage pieces of China
- Basement Press – Wood-turned bowls, cutting boards and serving ware
- Charlotte’s Web – Hand-crocheted critters for babies and kids
- exit343design – Hand-printed fun and functional stationery, totes bags, and prints
- GeoMetricGem (New) – Nature inspired jewelry incorporating geometric shapes and gemstones
- joeyfivecents (New) – New jewelry made from repurposed vintage papers and findings
- Mario Zucca (New) – Illustrative, humorous maps and portraits
- Padouk Crafts (New) – Handcrafted wood cutting boards, coasters, and bowls
- The Pillow Works (New) – Philly-themed pillows for the home
- Rosen & Co – Soy candles hand-poured in Philadelphia skyline glass votives
- Sarah Draws Things – Animal illustrations on prints, brooches, and stationery
- Selah Jewelry Design (New) – Hand-forged jewelry in bold designs
- Stitch Prism – Gemstone and ceramic jewelry and beautiful planters with air plants
- Stone Cooper (New) – Boho chic jewelry using metals and stones
- The Tin Goat – Hand-poured soy candles and soaps in fun fragrances
- Useful & Beautiful Handmade – Dolls and teddy bears made from upcycled fabrics (Family Fun Zone)
STYLE EXHIBIT + MARKETPLACE
Old City Fest will feature two fashion shows beneath the fall foliage to highlight the innovation and sophistication that is Old City Fashion. One-of-a-kind styles from Lele @ 323 Arch Fashion Collective, Meadowsweet Mercantile, and Rennes will rock the Old City runway!
Hair salon Barnet Fair will carefully curate the shows and marketplace, that highlight some of Old City’s most renowned boutiques. Old City has some of the most unique shopping in the city, and it will take center stage at the festival! Barnet Fair will also provide hair and makeup for both fashion shows.
A marketplace will be located right next to the runway, so Old City Fest attendees can shop the runway looks instantly. DJ Royce will spin music live on stage throughout the day. The fashion shows will take place at 1:45pm and 3:45pm.
MUSIC AND PERFORMANCE
Old City Fest 2018 features the biggest music lineup in the festival’s history! To celebrate five years of music, the Main Stage will pay tribute to the festival’s history by featuring artists who have performed at Old City Fest in the past Look for performances by Chill Moody, West Philadelphia Orchestra, Worldtown Soundsystem, plus DJ sets by Philly’s own turntable wunderkind DJ D-ILL! Don’t miss any of the performances happening at the Main Stage, located at 4th and Arch Streets.
FAMILY FUN ZONE PRESENTED BY TOYOTA
The Family Fun Zone presented by Toyota will feature performances from the Give & Take Jugglers, Philadelphia Dance Academy, Music Monkey Jungle and many more. AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate, the historic division of Mars Wrigley Confectionery, will present the history and preparation of colonial chocolate at the Betsy Ross House. Stop by to experience chocolate the same way that 18th century chocolate maker, Mary Crathorne, did! Check in as special guests will be visiting throughout the day. You might recognize some of America’s most famous neighbors!
*New This Year:
The Give & Take Jugglers present The Little Circus, a self-contained, 45-minute show featuring aerial fabric, trapeze, juggling, and tight wire! The show is infused with the warmth, humor, and audience participation for which Give & Take is known and is a consistent hit with children and adults alike.
Ran’D Shine is the face of the new millennium magician. He wowed audiences with his brilliant presentation at the 44th Presidential Inauguration in Washington, D.C. as well as Capetown, South Africa. As one of the most sought-after college performers, he has also captured the imaginations of audiences from Hollywood to New York City for more than a decade. He has already read your mind and knows that you want to know more. Come see for yourself.
PHILADELPHIA’S HISTORIC DISTRICT
Look for Philadelphia’s Historic District, a returning sponsor, to make a lively splash along Arch Street during Old City Fest, bringing lots of activities to the annual autumnal celebration!
The day will include stories at a Once Upon A Nation bench, 18th-century chocolate making at the Betsy Ross House, a Philadelphia Historic District prize wheel, caricaturists, corn hole, and so much more. Festivalgoers can test their Revolutionary War trivia skills for prizes at the Museum of the American Revolution’s tent. Be sure to check in with the Independence Visitor Center staff for information on what’s happening through Philadelphia and the region, and pick up a FREE Philly PHLASH® Downtown Loop All-Day Pass. The oversized and always-popular XOXO structure will be the perfect backdrop for participants to capture the memorable day with family photos and selfies! (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
African American Museum in Philadelphia*
Betsy Ross House
Historic Philadelphia, Inc.
Museum of the American Revolution
National Constitution Center
National Park Service
Philadelphia’s Historic District
Independence Visitor Center Corporation
GALLERIES AND ARTISTS
Old City is the city’s hub for artists, makers, galleries and creative industries. Be sure to experience all of the arts and culture the neighborhood has to offer.
The Center for Art in Wood will present live demos, crafts, and activities for the whole family in front of their large wood doors and inside their gallery.
Come out to watch The Clay Studio’s Wheel Battles as two artists at a time compete head to head on the potter’s wheel in competitions throughout the day!
Around every corner of Old City find the city’s latest fashions, gifts and home decor. Don’t leave empty handed with top brands, up-and-coming designers and more. (*new to Old City Fest for 2018.)
Old City participants include:
- 36 Craven
- Adorned by Aisha
- Art in the Age
- Artist & Craftsman Supply
- Benjamin Lovell Shoes
- Blokes Barbershop & Gentleman’s Emporium
- CHAR-COAL *
- The Farmers Market at Christ Church
- Grossman Furniture
- Lost + Found
- Margot Camille Optique
- Momo’s Tree House
- More Than Old
- Moxie Blue Salon
- Philly Socks
- Pinot Boutique
- Smak Parlour
- Zarrus Wind’s Metal Menagerie
For more information about Old City District and Old City Fest, visit oldcitydistrict.org, or call (215) 592-7929.
ABOUT OLD CITY DISTRICT
The Old City District is a special services district, managed by a board of directors drawn from area commercial property owners, business people and civic organizations. Located in the most historic square mile of the United States, Old City is a unique blend of historic influence and modern lifestyles. Old City has reinvented itself from foundries, factories and warehouse spaces into the residential, retail, dining and cultural destination of the city with art galleries, restaurants, and upscale retail boutiques and historic tours. www.oldcitydistrict.org.
ABOUT MRP REALTY
Founded in 2005, MRP Realty is a real estate operating company focused on opportunistic and value-add investment in the northeastern United States, with offices in Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York City. MRP provides to its institutional capital partners a full array of real estate services including: acquisition/disposition, development/construction management, property management, asset management and financial reporting services. Since the company’s inception, MRP has deployed $4.1 billion in total capitalization, an average of over $300 million per year. MRP’s combined development assets total more than 20 million square feet, with an additional 9+ million square feet under management. For more information, please visit www.mrprealty.com
Old City District presents the return of Old City Fest on Sunday, October 7, 2018, from 11:00am to 6:00pm, at Third and Arch Streets in Historic Philadelphia. Old City Fest is a celebration of art and design, fashion and food, creativity and culture on the streets of America’s most historic square mile— Old City, Philadelphia. This event highlights the region’s premier art and design district, showcasing local designers, creative firms, restaurants, retailers, galleries, theater, culture, history and architecture. Activities will include a festival stage with live music, circus artists, runway fashion shows, a family fun zone, pop-up street performances, dozens of food and drink options, street art, craft and retail shopping, and 100+ Old City vendors. Admission is free, with food and drink pay-as-you-go. For more info, visit www.oldcitydistrict.org/oldcityfest, tweet @OldCityDistrict or call (215) 592-7929.
CREDIT: Kory Aversa
Aversa PR & Events LLC
Mobile | 215-840-9216
Website | Aversapr (dot) com
Facebook | Aversa PR
If you enjoyed this, check out more posts from the Just Grubbin team here! Also make sure to listen to The Just Grubbin podcast to hear us go into further detail about this and to hear all of our random irreverent takes on food, drink and whatever else.